A Merry Christmas to one and all! And hopefully a relaxing one. Taking time off around Christmas and really switching off will make you more merry (we’re looking at you – the one checking your emails on Christmas eve). And it could just make you more productive to boot. We’ve compiled our top reasons to really switch off this Christmas:
- It’s good for you! – vacations improve your health in a myriad of ways, for example they can cut the risk of heart disease by 50% for men and 30% for women-but only if those men and women take more than one vacation a year.
- No-one’s in anyway – It’s the perfect time as most of your clients and suppliers will either be off or won’t expect an immediate response.
- It decreases stress – at one of the most stressful times of the year (62% of people report having elevated stress levels over the holidays) you definitely need some extra time off to relax.
- It’ll Increase your productivity – Taking time off actually increases your efficiency in the workplace. 91% of Senior business leaders agree that after an employee uses their annual leave they return recharged and renewed, ready to work more efficiently and productively.
- You may even enjoy your work more – not surprisingly only 27% of people who don’t take vacations reported being satisfied at work, whereas 71% of regular vacationers are.
So to celebrate you taking a well deserved break we’ve come up with some suggestions to get the most out of your time off:
1. (Starting with an easy one) Eat a stupid amount of mince pies
2. Perfect your mulled wine recipe
3. Play the AfterEight game
4. Feed your niece/nephew/grandchild a record breaking amount of chocolate and hand them back to their parents
5. Fall asleep in front of the TV whilst watching your other half’s favourite Christmas movie
6. Make something (anything really) just get creative – trust us, no matter how much it looks like your dog made it, it’s still a brilliant stress-buster
7. Go on a Christmas walk and sing carols (LOUDLY) – we’d suggest doing number 2 first
8. Get the monopoly out with Oliver, your extremely competitive, slightly condescending cousin
9. Watch ELF, The Grinch, The Muppets Christmas Carol and Die Hard back to back
10. Build a snowman – possibly out of newspaper if you’re reading this in the UK…